Skip to main content

The following list of materials can be brought to a Boise City mobile collection site. However, space is limited and we cannot accept large quantities of items. 

We can take up to 25 items or small loads that will easily fit into the cargo area of a small SUV or trunk of a car. Larger quantities or pickup truck-sized loads of household hazardous waste must be taken to the Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Facility at the Ada County Landfill. If you have questions about specific materials, call the Boise Public Works Department at 208-608-7136.

Note: Do NOT leave items at a site when a collection vehicle is not present. Leaving toxic chemicals unattended creates hazardous conditions and is a violation of Boise City Code. The sites are CLOSED on New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. 

Automotive Products

  • Used motor oil (max. two 1-gallon translucent containers, label "motor oil"; also part of curbside trash collection program; oil is collected weekly)
  • Antifreeze
  • Old gasoline (max. 5 gallons)

Back to top


  • All types (except alkaline batteries, which are not hazardous; please dispose of those in your trash)

Back to top

Gas Cylinders/Tanks

Back to top

Household Products

  • Aerosols
  • Cleaners - all types
  • Fluorescent light tubes and compact fluorescent light bulbs (LED light bulbs are not hazardous and can be thrown in the trash.)
  • Mercury thermostats
  • Mercury thermometers
  • Used fryer oil (max 5 gallons; must be free of food particles and in a spill-proof container. The container won't be returned.)

Back to top

Mercury-containing Products

  • Fluorescent light tubes and compact fluorescent light (CFL) bulbs (LED light bulbs do not contain mercury and can be thrown in the trash.)
  • Mercury thermometers
  • Mercury thermostats
  • Button cell batteries marked with "Hg", alkaline batteries 20 years or older (newer alkaline batteries can be thrown in the trash)
  • Antiques (barometers, clocks, mirrors, antique necklaces from Mexico)

Back to top

Paints and Stains (max. 25 gallons)

  • Latex paint and oil-based paints and stains
  • Solvents
  • Paint thinners
  • Wood stains

Back to top

Televisions / Computers / Electronics / Small Appliances

  • Computer equipment (e.g. laptops, hard drives, LCD displays, computer monitors - limit: 3)
  • Televisions smaller than 27" - limit: 2. Larger televisions and console televisions must be taken to the Recycling Area at the Ada County Landfill
  • Audio/Visual Equipment (e.g. DVDs, VCRs, camcorders, cameras, radios)
  • Office Equipment (table top printers, scanners, copiers, fax machines) Larger items must be taken to the Recycling Area at the Ada County Landfill
  • Cell phones
  • Microwaves

Back to top

Yard and Garden

  • Pesticides
  • Insecticides
  • Garden chemicals
  • Pool/spa chemicals

Back to top

Items NOT Accepted at HHW Collection Sites

  • Explosives
  • Ammunition - Residents with unwanted ammunition can call Impact Guns at 208-321-1288. Location: 11655 W. Executive Drive, Boise 83713. Unwanted ammunition will be accepted with manager's approval. Note You must call and receive approval prior to arriving with your unwanted ammunition. Be prepared to provide a detailed description of the unwanted items.
  • Radioactive materials
  • Biomedical waste
  • Electric mowers
  • Console televisions (must be taken to Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Facility)
  • Tires - Accepted at Ada County Landfill for a small fee. Call 208-577-4725 for assistance.
  • Paint from painting contractors, property management companies, or other businesses (see Commercial Hazardous Waste).
  • Prescription drugs (Learn more about Medication Disposal)
  • Commercial Hazardous Waste - Business wastes are only collected at the Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Facility.

Back to top

If you would like assistance finding the appropriate agency or management firm that will help with proper handling of these materials, please contact the Boise Public Works Department, Environmental Division at 208-608-7136.